MEDICAL ASSISTANT / LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE
Position Description – Medical Assistant/Licensed Practical Nurse
POSITION TITLE: Medical Assistant/Licensed Practical Nurse
BOARD APPROVED: August 2013, 11/19/2014, 9/9/2015, 10/12/2016
REPORTS TO: Designated Supervising Medical Provider
DUAL SUPERVISOR PERSONNEL COLLABORATOR: Associate Chief Medical Officer
DIVISION: Clinical Patient Care
EXEMPT/NON-EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
JOB SUMMARY: A medical assistant/licensed practical nurse is a multi-skilled professional and a valuable asset to a provider. They are an integral part of the healthcare team assisting in patient care management. They perform several functions, for instance: administrative medical assistants are tasked to update the patients’ medical records in the Electronic Medical Record.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. Assists with the preparation of patients prior to seeing a medical provider
B. Assists the medical providers with patient care in the conduct of clinical examinations and materials preparation; i.e. dressing changes, Pap smear, etc.
C. Acts as a translator for patients as needed if qualified
D. Responsible for taking vital signs, administering tuberculin tests, and performing procedures for specimen collection, routine eye screening, hearing tests, hematocrit, urinalysis, and urine culture
E. Performs EKG and simple laboratory procedures
F. Distributes lab reports to medical providers for review
G. Provides patient counseling regarding procedures (Ex. lab tests)
H. Assist in the maintenance of inventories and stocking of supplies in examination rooms, nursing and lab areas
I. Maintains logs of required data as needed
J. Acts as the patient’s advocate and liaison for the preservation of patient’s rights
K. Participates in off-site screening projects as needed
L. Participates in departmental QA and other patient-related committees as needed
M. Participates in outreach and community screenings as needed
N. Participates in case management and patient surveys in maintaining quality assurance
A. Performs other duties that may be assigned by the Designated Supervising Medical Provider, Associate Chief Medical Officer and/or Chief Executive Officer.
A. High School Diploma or equivalent required
B. Medical Assistant/Licensed Practical Nurse Certification
C. Basic CPR (BCLS) Certification
D. Two years’ experience working in a related health care field preferred
E. Capacity for covering Medical Assistants/Licensed Practical Nurses at all sites as needed
F. Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred
A. Must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of this position; also
demonstrate the following personal attributes; be honest and trustworthy, be
respectful, possess cultural awareness and sensitivity, be flexible, and demonstrate
sound work ethics.
1. Operate a motor vehicle with a current Class C driver's license. Operate a personal computer and calculator.
2. Problem Solving: Frequent problems arise in this position that is outside established policies or bodies of knowledge calling for high-level skills in problem-solving.
3. Decision Making: Frequent situations arise in this position calling for careful and analytical judgment.
4. Supervisory: Extensive responsibility for the direct supervision of management, staff, and contract employees. Requires the judicious use of delegation.
5. Interpersonal: Must interact with employees, the Board of Directors, governmental officials, and the general public.
6. Working Conditions: Works in a well-lighted, climate-controlled buildings. May be subjected to appearance in less than desirable environment and travel in adverse weather conditions. May be exposed to body fluids.
7. Physical Requirements: Requires sufficient visual acuity to be able to read and write and operate equipment common to this position. Required to read, write and speak English with the ability to speak a foreign language helpful. Requires sufficient hearing level to be able to effectively communicate with people directly or by telephone. Occasionally lift items weighing up to 25 pounds.
This job description is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) (May 1995).
If you are interested in applying for a position below please download the online application,
fill it out COMPLETELY and ACCURATELY, then submit it to the health center by emailing it,
along with your complete resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information | 615-644-2000 ext. 472
E-mail application and resume to Miranda Connor, Director of HR